Thursday, June 18, 2009

Reconnecting with an old client

I had a client come in today, a man I haven’t seen in over a year, and ask to see me. The client wanted to know if we had exercise classes. I said that we did, and my client told me he met with his doctor and was told he was in high risk to become diabetic. My client said that the doctor recommended he exercise and added he just returned from the library where he researched the disease.

I commended my client for taking the initiative of looking into it and offered to refer him to an onsite visiting physician we have who would be happy to give him more information. I also told him about the exercise programs we have. I was excited he was interested in the exercise classes.

I appreciate it when clients drop by or contact me after not hearing from them for a while. I don't expect clients I see only a handful of times to necessarily update me on how they're doing months afterwards but i like to hear from them. If I don’t, I hope they’re doing OK and if they’re not I hope they’re finding help wherever that may be. Usually I try to check in with clients if I haven’t heard from them in a couple of months (with more regular clients I’d check in sooner, maybe after a week) but sometimes clients move away, they don’t have a phone or they don’t respond to a letter I’ve sent them. I think sometimes about where they may be and how they’re doing. I’ve seen clients who saw a case manager at my agency as far as a decade ago. It’s weird to think that may happen again with someone else.

No comments: