Monday, August 10, 2009

Detested Work Jargon -- I Didn't Get it

I like reading rants on various topics. Office humor amuses me, for example. I came across an article called ‘Annoying Work Jargon Phrases” that listed 15 words/phrases that annoy office workers. I was annoyed when I finished reading it. By #13 I realized that I had only heard of a select few of those listed. I thought I'd see phrases like "Case of the Mondays", cliches like that, but that wasn't to be.

Not only didn't I hear these words before in my office, most of the words were brand new to me. Now maybe I don't work in the 'classic' office because of the social work setting, but I'm sure I hear common office jargon words. One of the few words I shared with the list were "piggyback" which doesn't bother me because I like the image I see in my mind when I hear it. Someone mentioned "touch base" as a phrase that bothers them, and I use it all the time. I mostly don't like small talk phrases. How are you, how was your weekend, what are your weekend plans, what are you doing, who are you. Those vague questions bother me.

No comments: