Thursday, November 12, 2009

Beating the Clock

During the past week I've been focusing a lot of energy into a client who's going through a crisis situation. As I've been doing this some of my to-do-tasks get postponed, and slowly build up one on top of another. Though it's not like my entire day is devoted to my crisis client, each day I've been making half a dozen (sometimes lengthy) calls on behalf and to her as well as meeting with her nearly daily. And as I do this, life doesn't stand still for clients who understandably contact me with ongoing concerns or questions.

As I was sitting in my office yesterday, listening to my voicemail and thinking about a new intake I was about to meet with I started hearing the Sorcerer's Apprentice theme in the background. Or in my head. Later I amused myself with an idea of a case manager's video game. This would be in similar concept to restaurant games where you're Yoshi, the shushi cook, or Betty, the cafe cook and you need to cook orders for dine in and to go. Playing the cook, as you complete levels and move up orders come in faster and the dishes are more complicated. Imagine that in a case manager's setting... A case manager sits in her office. Phone rings, a person asks for a food bag. You click on your 'tasks' list for food bag to fill the request. Someone knocks on your door. Rental request. Click on 'rental assistance' to fill request. Coworker stops by and asks for mental health agency info. Click referral. Schedule pops up with "Lead budgeting workshop." Click workshop. 'Appointment' client and 'walk in' client arrive at the same time! Another rental assistance request! Client's hot water isn't working and management won't spray for bed bugs, need to call landlord! E-mail arrives, phone call to get medical records, homevisitmailpaymentmakereferralwalkinclientsitkeepsgoingonandonandon. Oh this would be a hit in no time.

3 comments:

caseworker30.wordpress.com said...

That's a great idea. I oftin feel the same pressure when I'm spending too much time with one client as well.

antiSWer said...

Haha, I love it. I'd play it. ;)

oregonamy1972 said...

That's hilarious...and so true!!