Monday, January 4, 2010

Pacing -- The Underappreciated Sport

As gathered from my There's a Sport for Everyone post athletic life and I are usually on distant terms despite my good intentions.

A gentleman opened my eyes to a very simple activity. While I'm waiting for the bus -- in chilly weather -- he suggested that instead of standing I try to pace. That way I would get exercise and stay warm. He then told me he does it himself. "Don't people look at you funny?" I asked him. "Sure, but each bus stop it's different people."

What can I say. I will likely not be joining the gym, I won't be spending more than absolutely necessary walking around, but I will be waiting for the bus. I gave it a try and naturally after a pace or two my coworker asked me what I was doing. When I explained she laughed and said that's a good idea.

This may be a beginning of a movement.

No comments: