Saturday, May 8, 2010

Duties as Assigned

A few of the unconventional tasks I undertook in my last few years as case manager:

Moving planner
Alongside wedding or party planners, here is another challenging job that who knows, maybe exists and I just don't know about it. A typically a challenging process and that as an agency we don't do but have still found ourselves doing in a larger or smaller capacity when clients were no longer able to stay in their housing.

Accompanying client to Department of Human Services right after he lost his apartment 

Helping client organize her apartment when her hoarding put her in danger of eviction 

Helping partner of a deceased client clean out their shared apartment
Of clothes and some personal effects. The partner kept some items but was moving out of the apartment and wanted to discard a lot of his her partner's paraphernalia. It was a hard task A process that was hard because I had worked closely with her partner. Felt like surreal closure.

Translator
Challenge of translating not just words but meaning behind them.

Cable technician 
("Since you're already here, will you take a look at my TV? The cable won't work")
-- Cousin to teaching folks who have never owned a cellphone how to use one.

Putting furniture back together
I have been known to screw a table top back in place.

Feel free to share any unusual tasks you took on as part of your job.

3 comments:

SocialWrkr24/7 said...

LOL- oh the good ol' days of being a casemanager... We always joked about all those things that fall under "other duties as assigned"!

oregonamy1972 said...

LOL...in this particular job I have now, the weirdest thing I did was explain to an elderly woman how to shop for a pay-as-you-go cell phone. She just couldn't understand why I couldn't go with her partner to the cell phone store to take care of it!

SocialWrkr24/7 said...

I'm linking to this post in my post tomorrow - lemme know if you want me to remove it!